Monday, February 9, 2015

Travel Essentials For A Long Haul Flight


I'm sharing this post with you before I leave this week on my three week trip to Laos & Thailand. I've been on my fair share of 10+ hour flights and lets be honest, they're unpleasant to say the least. Your sleep will be restless. You'll be yearning for a real, enjoyable meal. Your muscles will definitely ache, especially your butt and neck. Your skin will dry out and you will probably feel disgusting by the end of it. I promise though, once you reach your destination, none of that will matter and that long flight will have been worth it. It's like the saying goes, "Nothing really worth having comes quickly and easily!" 


Here are my must have travel essentials for a long flight:

Comfortable clothing: What I wear on the flight is essential to my comfort. Make sure you have on a comfortable outfit before you board. I always layer it up! Why? Because you can always take layers off. I opt for stretchy leggings, a tank top or loose t-shirt and either a loose fitting sweater or cardigan. If I'm not wearing a sweater or jacket, I always have one packed in my carry on bag (the one that goes under the seat) so I have it handy as it can get pretty chilly in flight. I also carry a pair of fuzzy slipper socks to wear on the plane to keep my feet nice and cozy. Lastly, I pack an over-sized scarf to use as a blanket. 


Entertainment: I always have my iPod, iPad and cellphone fully charged and ready to go. I make sure I have my chargers handy too for the flights that include an outlet. A few days before the flight, I update all my devices with up to date music, download any movies or shows I may want to watch or any games I want to play to pass the time. I personally don't like reading on devices, so I usually bring a book with me. It's also a good idea to invest in a quality pair of headphones because you never know what kind of neighbours you'll have around you. 


Snacks: This is imperative to me. Yes, I am probably going to sleep the whole time but there will be moments when I or my family may need to snack on something other than bits and bite type snacks provided by the airline. I normally pack a bag of chips or Pringles (easier to pack), some type of gummy candy, a mini bag of chocolate covered raisins, MINTS (just to freshen up your breath here and there), individually packaged cookies and/or other snacks. It depends on what I'm craving leading up to the flight. These snacks are good to have as well if you have any layovers; they might hold you over until you reach your destination. 


Beauty Essentials: I normally have a makeup bag packed in my suitcase, but I have a backup kit that I carry on board with me as well. The kit generally includes hand sanitizer, travel size hand lotion, lip balm, tissues, face wipes, a travel size toothbrush and toothpaste, and a couple of makeup essentials - concealer, eye liner, eyebrow pencil, blush and either lip gloss or lipstick (try packing a cream blush to use for your cheeks and lips). One other item I have been packing is a face mask. On a 15+ hr flight, your skin will dry out so usually within the last few hours, I'll slap on the mask and let my face soak in the moisture. Your skin will love you for it and you will feel refreshed right before you deplane!


The most important thing is to prepare your mind. Try to relax and just settle in and enjoy the ride. Use it as time to catch up on some sleep or time to finish up a book or catch up on a TV series. It may not be the most comfortable ride, but make the best of it!


Where is your next long haul flight?

Happy flying!


No comments:

Post a Comment